Re: Matching lyrics to a one measure divisi

From: Hayden Muhl
Subject: Re: Matching lyrics to a one measure divisi
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 13:53:08 -0700

2012/3/21 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Hayden Muhl <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2012/3/21 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Hayden Muhl <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > and non-divisi sections of a score. Hopefully there is a sane method of
>> > getting this to work that I'm not aware of.
>>
>> Do not use \\ shortcut, because it has limitations like this,
>> Instead, use explicit voices.  The manuals give you instructions on
>> this, but if you have trouble, ask (sorry, i'm in a rush now).
>
> If I use two voices where
> one voice has many measures of {s}, then the notes that share a single
> measure are going to be very far away from each other in the source file.
>
> Is there some sort of compromise I can use? Is there a way to make the
> lyrics work properly, but keep the source for measure two in close proximity
> to itself?

Using explicit voices, which i suggested, doesn't mean that they need
to last for the whole piece.
Here's what you should do:

grimoaldo = \relative c' {
   \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Grimoaldo"
   \key a \major
   \autoBeamOff
   d8[ e8] fis8
   <<
     { \voiceOne gis8 a8.[ gis16] }
     \new Voice { \voiceTwo gis,8 a4 }

   \oneVoice
   fis'16[ e d cis] b[ a]
   e8.[ gis16 a8]
}

Is this what you want?

hope this helps,
Janek

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

- Hayden