Re: Self-contained Lilypond in a Dropbox folder for Windows users?

From: James
Subject: Re: Self-contained Lilypond in a Dropbox folder for Windows users?
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:17:56 +0100

Michael,

On 27 March 2012 18:08, Michael Ellis <address@hidden> wrote:

> Cheers,
> Mike
>

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:01 PM, James <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>> I cannot speak about Vista but Windows 7 works great.
>>
>> Installing LilyPond in a dropbox folder is no different to say
>> installing it on the 'd' drive. What I am not sure of though is
>>
>> You *might* need to set your path (or at least check it is set
>> properly) so that LilyPond can run
>>
>> http://lilypond.org/windows.html
>>
>> See 'running on the command line' half way down.
>>

> Thanks, James.  That's the kind of issue that scares me.  Trying to explain
> to someone who's got no concept of 'path' how to append to it can eat an
> amazing amount of time.  Guess I'll just have to see how it goes ...

I'm afraid that we have found cases where the windows installer simply
doesn't add the path at all. I believe that if you incorporate the
latests version Frescobaldi (and I would certainly recommend that as a
'front end' for Windows users) you can configure it there in the
preferences.

Install LilyPond
Install Frescobaldi
use Frescobaldi's preferences to make sure the LilyPond exe is being
found, if not point to it using Frescobaldis easy-to-use
windows-like-browse-to-find-me GUI and click ok.

James