Instrument Name in oddHeaderMarkup position

From: Mark Mathias
Subject: Instrument Name in oddHeaderMarkup position
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 09:20:27 -0400

I would like to place the Instrument Name on the first page only in the position occupied by the oddHeaderMarkup. LilyPond's convention for the Instrument Name is to place it below the Title. This may be standard for professional-level music, but educational orchestra music normally places the Instrument Name in the upper left corner in large letters. Subsequent pages usually abbreviate the name, often placing it in much smaller type along with the page number.

So, I'd like to either use the oddHeaderMarkup command and turn off the oddHeaderMarkup for following pages, or use a different command (\markup, I assume) to accomplish the same result. The manual no doubt shows how to do this, but the clues are not pulled together in one place that I can get to work. Perhaps yet another example of a newbie wrestling LilyPond's enormous power and complexity.

\version "2.15.35"

\header {

title = "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"

composer = "J. S. Bach"

instrument = "Violin I" %Where LilyPond normally puts it.

}

\paper {

oddHeaderMarkup = \markup { \fontsize #4 "Violin I" } %The way I'd like it, but only on page 1.

}

\relative c' { c }

Thanks!

Mark