Re: Another tricky music situation. This time: Repeat Nightmare with alt

From: Nils
Subject: Re: Another tricky music situation. This time: Repeat Nightmare with alternative endings.
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 16:42:14 +0200

Am Thu, 5 Apr 2012 15:31:48 +0100
schrieb James <address@hidden>:

> Hello,
>
> On 5 April 2012 15:20, Nils <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > Maybe you have an opinion about this musical situation, described
> > here: http://www.nilsgey.de/2012/04/05/nightmare-repeats/
> >
> > In my eyes it should be forbidden. The real cause it that
> > alternative endings use the same glyph as boundary as repeats: the
> > repeat close barline. Better would be a glyph that is explicitely
> > and only for the first/second ending bracket, but well.. we don't
> > got that over the last few hundred years.
>
> better would be to write out in full, it's not like we need to worry
> about the cost of parchment is it ;)
>
> Why muck about like this in the first place?
>
> James

I is somehow my (future) Job as music theorist to think about these
problems. At least I want to think about it.

Writing your music down in a correct way helps the intpreter to play
better and the composer to think better.

There are many strange and inconsequent things in music notation. If
you know them you can avoid them and make your music or score clearer.
This is where Lilypond comes in because I use it to create scores :)

Nils