musicxml2ly lilypond output formatting

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: musicxml2ly lilypond output formatting
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 08:55:45 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

As I posted earlier, I often get better results with lilypond files generated by musicxml2ly after a little bit of extra editing.

As musicxml2ly gets better and bugs are found and fixed, this post-editing will be required less and less, I guess/hope.

When editing the files I noticed that the musicxml2ly output formatting is not very nice looking sometimes. I mean the placement of braces, indentation, (lack of) empty lines to separate music={ ..... } blocks.
Things that help improve readability and make editing more fun.
For example .ly files generated by midi2ly look somewhat better.

Frescobaldi's re-formatting feature helps a lot, but it would be nice if musicxml2ly would produce nicely formatted lilypond files. I guess you could call this an improvement request.

BTW: Are there any written rules/conventions about how a nicely formatted lilypond source should look?

--

MT