Suggestion for documentation: Easy path to datatype reference

From: James Harkins
Subject: Suggestion for documentation: Easy path to datatype reference
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 21:32:28 +0800

Along with the existing documentation about overrides and tweaks, it would be
helpful to have a page -- which is easy to find -- listing all the data types
and the syntax to write them.

Example: Today, I was trying to write my own \override for the first time. To
make matters more challenging, I was in a café and their WiFi connection was
not working. So, the only documentation I had available to me was the *info*
docs in Emacs. Eventually I found my way to grob-interface and extra-offset:
"It takes a pair of numbers"... /pair/ of numbers? No obvious entries in the
index, or looking through the table of contents of the learning manual,
notation reference for internals reference.

I only needed to move something down, so I gave up and used Y-offset.

I got home, and an Internet search turned up the Scheme tutorial, which does
explain cons cells, so I finally found the syntax is (a . b). I didn't see it
in the table of contents because it goes down to second-level sections (1.1,
1.2 etc.) and the headings about datatypes are 1.1.3 and 1.1.4.

Small issue, I guess -- it's possible to find the information with the help of
tools outside the documentation, but it is a bit of a usability issue: the
learning manual discusses tweaks, but appears not to be specific about the
syntax you will need to specify certain datatypes -- requiring external tools
and an internet connection to make the documentation useful.

Or maybe it just irritated me and I want to complain :)

FWIW, I'm throwing some quite complex multi-voice notation at Lilypond and most
of it is coming out beautifully, without manual intervention. So let me balance
the complaint with kudos for the excellent work of the developer team!

James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
address@hidden