Re: advanced (?) instrumentname setting

From: Gagi Petrovic
Subject: Re: advanced (?) instrumentname setting
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:13:10 +0200

That's a clever idea James, thank you.

Although I have to say for such a simple thing I find it a waste of the extra time I will have in creating the notes for the one percussion player. For example: if I want him to make a tremolo movement from the center of a gong towards the edge, I'd have to write c4:32 s2 in the lower stave, s4 c4:32 s4 in middle and s2 c4:32 in the upper stave.. instead of just putting it in one stave.

So my conclusion is that what I'm aiming for isn't yet implemented in LilyPond. Where to can I write proposals for relevant new ideas for improving LilyPond?

Thanks for the help anyway!

Cheers, Gagi

On 15 April 2012 16:40, James <address@hidden> wrote:
Gagi,

On 15 April 2012 12:15, Gagi Petrovic <address@hidden> wrote:
> oops, misclicked on "send". Sorry.
>
> I'm looking for something like this, where the "-------" are the three lines
> of my percussive staff:
>
> e.  ------------
> m. ------------
> c.  ------------
>
> This is quite common in percussive notation, that's why I find it odd I
> can't seem to find a way of doing this. Should be very simple, I'd think.

Unless I am mistaking what you are trying to do, the best approach
would be possibly to use a staff group, such that each '-----' in your
example is a system of music and then you can add an instrument name
(as you would normally) for each instance.

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation/writing-parts#instrument-names

I don't use 'drumstaff' personally but I guess that your example would
just be three of those each with their own instrument name all held
together in a 'staff group'.

Does that make sense?

James

--