Re: advanced (?) instrumentname setting

From: James
Subject: Re: advanced (?) instrumentname setting
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:49:54 +0100

Hello,

On 16 April 2012 09:13, Gagi Petrovic <address@hidden> wrote:
> That's a clever idea James, thank you.
>
> Although I have to say for such a simple thing I find it a waste of the
> extra time I will have in creating the notes for the one percussion player.
> For example: if I want him to make a tremolo movement from the center of a
> gong towards the edge, I'd have to write c4:32 s2 in the lower stave, s4
> c4:32 s4 in middle and s2 c4:32 in the upper stave.. instead of just putting
> it in one stave.

Well yes that is true, I'm not a percussionist so am not sure what the
differences between 'normal' notes and percussion notation is that
makes this any less painful. but if you were doing ANY composition
with multiple 'voices' (which is what you seem to be doing here) you'd
have to do that anyway right?

The only other thing I can suggest is using the columnar option with
instrument names but again I am not sure if that is just as fiddly
with instrument names.

> So my conclusion is that what I'm aiming for isn't yet implemented in
> LilyPond. Where to can I write proposals for relevant new ideas for
> improving LilyPond?

http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list

or send a nice enhancement request to

http://lilypond.org/bug-reports.html