Re: \makeOctaves broken?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: \makeOctaves broken?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 21:44:51 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> just another observation:
> While it worked smoothly with the last example, the function complains
> when there are phrasingSlurs involved. I get a message saying a) (at
> the beginning) that there already is a phrasingSlur and b) (at the
> end) that the phrasingSlur can't be ended.
> The result is correct, though.

Duplicate phrasing slurs lead to warnings.  Slurs have a bit of
additional logic to skip the warning when the situation is not really
ambiguous.

> BTW: shouldn't it be quite easy (and interesting) to modify the
> function so that arg doesn't mean the number of octaves but a number
> of semitones?

Later postings contain a version allowing arbitrary transpositions (and
multiple notes).  Gmane has messed up the order of postings.

>> Any chance to get this incorporated to default LilyPond syntax?

It is all very ad-hoc.  More like LSR material than proper LilyPond.
The main "feature" is a variant of \transpose that continues working
_inside_ of \relative.  If that would be of more than academical
interest, it should likely be made the _default_ mode of operation for
\transpose.  I am somewhat doubtful of that.

--
David Kastrup