Re: Notation of french horn

From: Helge Kruse
Subject: Re: Notation of french horn
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 06:31:48 +0200

Am 25.04.2012 00:21, schrieb Tiresia GIUNO:

Unless you are writing for natural horn in G, the French Horn today
is the double horn in F-Bb.

You write it:
1. without Key Signature
2. with accidentals for each pitch
3. a FIFTH above the actual pitch ()

Alternatively you can write in C (i.e. the actual pitch) and let
Lilypond transpose it for you a fifth higher (see: \transpose).

Thanks to all for the answer. I wasn't aware of the transposed notation praxis for this instrument. So I think it will be best to write the actual notes as they should appear on the sheet. This can make discussions with the performers easier.

If I generate a MIDI file to look for mistakes I will use the \transpose by a fifth to get a well sounding output.

Thanks,
Helge