Notation of french horn

From: Timothy Reeves
Subject: Notation of french horn
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:44:32 -0700

Helge said:

Hello,

I am typesetting a concerto in G major. There are two brass instruments
(french horns). I am was told that these staves should be written
without key an without accidentals at the notes. I don't have neither
experience with playing praxis of horns nor with notation for this kind
of instruments.
What is the best way to do this? Should I write it without all the F#
notes? Or is there anything like transposing from normal notation to
horn (or brass) notation? AFAIK is transposing the change of all pitches
by a value, not the change of a selection of pitches, isn't it?
As an example here are the firs five measures of three instruments

Helge

\version "2.14.2"

CornoOneAllegro = \relative c'' {
   \clef treble
   c4 c c r | % 1
   r2 r8 c c4 | % 2
   r2 r8 c c4 | % 3
   g4 g g r8 d' | % 4
   e4 fis8 e e d r4 | % 5
}

Helge,

I've played horn for a while (albeit for only a third of a century not a full half century ;) and I would say that while you *may* write it with no key signature and accidentals where needed, it is not expected by modern players, who are all quite used to key signatures. The former way was the norm over a hundred years ago, but not now.
Just let Lilypond do the transposition for you, so if your snippet horn part is written with concert pitches, write instead

 \transpose f c' {\relative c'' {
 \key g \major
   \clef treble
   c4 c c r | % 1
   r2 r8 c c4 | % 2
   r2 r8 c c4 | % 3
   g4 g g r8 d' | % 4
   e4 fis8 e e d r4 | % 5

If those were concert pitches, then, since that horn part will go up to high c, you need a good high horn player.

Good luck, and thanks for writing more horn music!

--
Tim Reeves