Re: Notation of french horn

From: Josiah Boothby
Subject: Re: Notation of french horn
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 00:21:03 -0700

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 15:44, Timothy Reeves <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've played horn for a while (albeit for only a third of a century not a
> full half century ;) and I would say that while you *may* write it with no
> key signature and accidentals where needed, it is not expected by modern
> players, who are all quite used to key signatures. The former way was the
> norm over a hundred years ago, but not now.

...or, if you're working with a horn player, you could ask them for
their preference. Many horn players, especially those with a
more-or-less strictly traditional orchestral background, have a
preference for no key signature. That said, any horn player of any
reasonable skill can play music with a key signature with no real
problems. This is, after all, nearly two hundred years since the valve
was invented (though we still haven't done the sensible thing and
moved to C clefs).

Now, as for my personal preference as a horn player? I've only got
about a fifth of a century behind me, but I only want to see a key
signature if it makes reading the music easier. If the music is
heavily chromatic, I'd rather not see a key signature. I have
re-notated composers' parts for me because I did not like their
choices regarding key signatures and accidentals. Maybe that's just
because I'm a nerd, though, but now I'm off-topic.

Best,

Josiah