Re: String Bass Notation

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: String Bass Notation
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 18:20:16 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Roberts" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2012 6:16 PM

Vaughan McAlley wrote:
On 19 April 2012 03:08, Tim Roberts <address@hidden> wrote:
This is a hand-drawn score.  I'm thinking that they probably meant snap
pizzicato, and it was easier to draw the line all the way through than to stop part way through. Snap pizzicato would fit in the context, and I have found no source that shows the exact "phi" symbol. Have any of you string
players seen that notation?
Snap pizzicato and the very Victorian Arthur Sullivan don’t really gel
together in my mind. I wish I could offer an alternative theory.

Well, this orchestration is from the 1981 Joseph Papp revival that was
used for the Linda Ronstadt / Kevin Kline movie version.  It contains a
number of improvements over the original.  The notation occurs in "With
Cat-Like Tread", where the pirates stomp around loudly while all the
time bragging (loudly) about how quiet they are.

By now the point is moot, because the scores have gone back to the
rental agency, but I appreciate the comments.

--
Tim Roberts, address@hidden
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

s/improvements/changes/