Re: Installing LilyPond fonts for use in programs under Windows 7

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Installing LilyPond fonts for use in programs under Windows 7
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:18:45 -0300

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:37 AM, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:
> This is my first post, but I've used LilyPond for a number of projects and
> love the beautiful output. I am also
> learning to love her possibilities for shortcuts and tweaking output,
> although some possibilities are more lovable more
> than others. (I'll have a question or two about defining markup commands at
> some stage.) That's not my question now
> though, which is:
>
> Is it possible to install the Feta/Emmentaler font(s?) in Windows 7 so that
> characters become
> available in applications running under Windows? I tried simply double
> clicking on the Emmentaler otf files, with the
> result that they got "installed" according to the Windows Control Panel's
> Fonts feature, and the font name appeared in
> Windows programs' font lists, but the glyphs just didn't appear. Is there
> some other way (i.e. without installing the
> fonts) of straightforwardly including LilyPond glyphs in files prepared using
> Windows programs?

The emmentaler and feta fonts use a non-standard encoding, and are
typically accessed by glyph name. I have no idea how to access such
glyphs from inside MS Word.

> And by the way, what is the relationship between Feta and Emmentaler?

feta was the original Type1 font.  Since Type1 fonts can only hold 256
entries, we had several of them.  Later we unified them into
Emmentaler ("a big cheese") which has all the glyphs in a single font.