Re: beginner

From: James
Subject: Re: beginner
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 21:50:26 +0100

Hello,

On 5 May 2012 14:47, fabio <address@hidden> wrote:
> sorry i want to know how make two scores in the same page: i have made two
> distinct scores, two files, but i want to write both in the same page, how
> can i
> do, what's the command i have to write? i thought it should be simple...but it
> seems nothing is simple..! please someone help me!
>
> ps: sorry for my bad english

You have a few choices, depending on how much a 'beginner' you are:

1. You can copy and paste the music of the two scores into a single
.ly file and give them a name

i.e.

MusicA = { a b c d }

MusicB = { d c b a }

Then you can reference their 'names' in two separate \score sections
at the bottom of you .ly file
like this

\score {
  \MusicA
}

\score {
 \MusicB
}

That is the very simple way (and the way I use) and will create a
single PDF of all your music and will simply start a new score
immediately after the next one, if both the \scores are small enough
they will fit on one page - just in case that is what you mean by
putting two 'small' scores into a single PDF.

You can then use a single command in your .ly file to set the 'staff' size

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/setting-the-staff-size#index-staff-size_002c-setting

If you put this at the 'top' of your single file it will affect *all*
\scores, if you put it in a \layout block inside each \score (as the
link shows) you can make one \score bigger/smaller than the other.

2. You can take a similar approach but have 3 files

File 1 = MusicA only
File 2 = MusicB only
File 3 = \score output only but references File 1 and File 2.

See:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/multiple-output-files-from-one-input-file

(the whole chapter is useful).

3. If you already know these basics of #1 or #2 and you really meant
you wanted to reduce the space of two \scores so they 'fit' on two
pages because at the moment the second \score starts on the first page
and moves to the second page then you can look at how to adjust the
spacing here:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/page-layout

I hope this helps.

James