Different staff sizes

From: Johannes Eva
Subject: Different staff sizes
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 19:33:27 +0200

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this list, though I have been using and hugely appreciating Lilypond for many years now. I am writing a book of little pieces for violin beginners, free to use and copy of course :-) I'll set up a website for it in the next months.

I am now blocked by what I consider a Lilypond limitation, but maybe I just couldn't figure out how to do what I want. I'd like to have my little pieces in one big pdf file. The problem is: I need different staff sizes for different pieces and "chapters" of the book.

#(set-global-staff-size 14) does only work for books, but not for \bookparts!

Using layout-set-staff-size makes only the font bigger (if I'm right), but not the lines, so that following solution does not work:

\score{
  \relative c' { c4 d e f g1 }
  \layout {
    #(layout-set-staff-size 15)

\score{
  \relative c' { c4 d e f g1 }
  \layout {
    #(layout-set-staff-size 30)

According to Google, this seems to be a wide-known problem.

Is there any trick or tweak to scale the staves and lines to layout-set-staff-size? Or any other way to have different staff sizes in one document with Lilypond?

Does this bug report shows that there is no hope?

Is an ugly trick excluded, a way to go around the problem?

Thank you for your time, greetings from Nürnberg, Germany,
Johannes