Re: Regarding horizontal shifts.

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Regarding horizontal shifts.
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 17:02:55 +0200

Hi Hwaen,

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Hwaen Ch'uqi <address@hidden> wrote:
> Greetings All,
>          In this snippet, the second arpeggio overlaps with the preceding
> cross-staff notation. How may I best solve this? Ideally, I should
> like to shift the second half of the measure to the right. Has the
> solution something to do with padding? My efforts thus far have not
> yielded anything fruitful.

Overriding arpeggio's X-extent (i.e. telling LilyPond that it should
be wider) should do the trick, but unfortunately doesn't.  I think
this is a bug; LilyPond doesn't recognize that the last note/chord
before the arpeggio is in the upper staff.  A workaround is to insert
something into the bottom voice of the bottom staff and hide it (even
when it's hidden, Lily will consider it when calculating spacing).
I hope this explanation is clear.
Here's an example of such workaround:

\score{
 \new PianoStaff<<
   \set PianoStaff.connectArpeggios = ##t
   \new Staff = up{
     \key c \minor \time 2/4 \clef treble \relative{
       <<
         {
           <c>4\arpeggio <d>\arpeggio
         }
         \\
         {
           r16 <g, es> \change Staff = down \voiceOne <g, c> \change Staff =
up \voiceTwo <g' es> r <c g f> \change Staff = down \voiceOne <g, c d>
\change Staff = up \voiceTwo <c' g f>

   \new Staff = down{
     \key c \minor \time 2/4 \clef bass \relative{
       <<
         {
           s2
         }
         \\
         {
           <c,, c'>4\arpeggio <d d'>\arpeggio
         }
         {
           s8. \hideNotes r16 \unHideNotes

hope this helps,
Janek

PS you should be using \voiceOne instead of \stemUp.  The latter
doesn't result in proper placement of articulations and other things.