Re: Ukulele string tunings

From: Choan Gálvez
Subject: Re: Ukulele string tunings
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 04:50:47 +0200

Hi.

On 5/12/12 16:51 , David Kastrup wrote:
Choan Gálvez<address@hidden>  writes:

On 5/12/12 16:08 , David Kastrup wrote:
Choan Gálvez<address@hidden>   writes:

In addition, I'd say those two tunings are weirly named -- from the
same file, all guitar tunings are named `guitar-something`, all banjo
tunings `banjo-something`.

But those are not tenor or baritone tunings of a ukulele, but rather
tunings of the tenor or baritone ukulele.  Namely different instruments.

Yes. And no. The most common tuning for ukuleles --soprano, concert
and tenor-- is<g' c' e' a'>  (C reentrant tuning).

The one which is currently defined as `tenor-ukulele-tuning` is used
in soprano, concert and baritone too:<g c' e' a'>  (C linear tuning).

And the most used tuning for tenor ukuleles is<g' c' e' a'>
(currently ukulele-tuning, that's fine).

The `baritone-ukulele-tuning` is used --as far as I know-- only in
baritone sized instruments, as the pitches are too low to sound nice
in small instruments. But... there is an "A linear tuning" for
baritone too.

I'd use the following naming strategy:

* Start with "ukulele-"
* Use "pitch-" when the tuning is other than the common C tuning (C6)
* Use "linear-" when the tuning is linear instead of the more common
reentrant tuning
* Finish with "tuning".

I find "linear" weird.  But it is not relevant what _I_ find weird if
that is what Ukulele players associate with it.

"Low G tuning" is more common among players than "C linear tuning". For other pitches, I'd say the common term is "D with low fourth". And "Baritone tuning" is more common than "G linear tuning".

But, there's no consensus --nor it is needed. Unfortunately, it's impossible to extract a naming estrategy from the most common names, and that's why I made my proposal.

But, I'd rather left the renaming out than abusing other users with my (not so) highly opinionated terms -- I'll keep them for my include files.

Programmers of LilyPond rarely know all the instruments that they are
writing support for.  If you have a development version of LilyPond
checked out, I would suggest preparing a patch/issue using git-cl.

Done. Just the reversing of the chords.

Otherwise, submitting a careful proposal to the bug list should get your
issue added to the bug database, but it will depend on someone picking
it up to get a fix created.  So proposing a patch yourself will speed up
the process and make sure that the code corresponds best with what you
consider useful for your instrument.

:)

Best.
--