Re: Fwd: Middle voices and rests

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Fwd: Middle voices and rests
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 12:10:00 -0400

On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 03:39 -0400, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-05-13 at 17:31 -0400, David B. Stocker wrote:
> > Hi group,
> >
> > Any guess on how to make LilyPond automatically shift rests the way it
> > shifts notes in middle voices to avoid collisions with other notes?
>
> The rule makes it simple, but it is a very obscure
> rule to say the least. An inside rest always shifts to
> the left, and it is put before
> a stem. It is *never* put after a stem.

Oops. The rule is right but I visualized this wrong:

> That is the opposite of the way bass and tenor
> notes shift in a stem collision, assuming four parts.

Here are the correct collision defaults:

A tenor note shifts to the left of a bass note and

a tenor rest shifts to the left of the stem of a bass note.

An alto note shifts to the right of a soprano note but

an alto rest shifts to the left of the stem of a soprano note.

A colliding inside rest is always centered
in front of a stem, 100 pct of the time.

Regards, daveA