Testimonial

From: Tim Roberts
Subject: Testimonial
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 11:46:47 -0700

It's interesting how much a few little clues can help simplify things.  I'm arranging a number of pieces for clarinet quartet.  I had been using relative brute force, using separate blocks for the parts, using external scripts to generate separate PDF files, etc.  The code was ugly and, as a professional programmer, I hated it.

After watching this list for a while, I learned enough hints about \parallelMusic and tags and \bookpart to redo things, and suddenly my Lilypond files are self-contained, workable, and readable.  I can actually find the notes I need to change, instead of wading through a big, complicated block.  I did the entire first movement of Brandenburg 3 for clarinet quartet in about two days, and I could not be happier with the results -- both the output and the Lilypond source are pretty.

I still lose track of the relative octaves while I'm doing data entry, but that problem is unlikely to be solved through technology...

My compliments to the long-timers on this list for your patience.  It is only through your repeated explanations that newcomers can pick up the hints and idioms that make this very large package manageable.
--
Tim Roberts, address@hidden
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.