Re: Page breaking question

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Page breaking question
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 06:58:42 +0000 (UTC)

Jay Anderson <horndude77 <at> gmail.com> writes:

>  I'm
> just looking for a way to improve the page breaking situation
> automatically. I'm thinking I may need to look at writing a custom
> page break algorithm or modifying the page turn breaking algorithm to
> do what I need.

I have tried to use the automatic page breaking, but so far always
decided it wasted my time and decided to use manual breaks.

In the example you posted I tried to encourage breaks between scores
with a soft distance,   score-system-spacing #'basic-distance = #90
but the page breaker insists on putting one line of the third score
on the second page, and then complains that page is too tight.

I can be more forceful,  score-system-spacing #'minimum-distance = #50
and git the page-breaker to comply, but that would force a minimum
gap between scores, and might not be enough to put a shorter third
score on its own page.  I see no solution with the existing LilyPond.