Re: Source management tools for lilypond projects

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Source management tools for lilypond projects
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 11:23:34 +0200

Hi Colin,

thanks for your patience. I somehow start to see some light ;-)

Am 22.05.2012 10:53, schrieb Colin Hall:
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:26:02AM +0200, Urs Liska wrote:
Dear Susan,

I think this makes sense (although I can't tell if it really is what
Colin wanted to express ...).
It was pretty close. Thanks, Susan, you write well.

Do I understand correctly that what you describe is one possible
strategy to take care of the integrity of the main source tree?
Yes. Integrity in the sense that it passes (I'm guessing) these three
tests: no errors from Lilypond, the scores look good, and the midi
sounds fine.
Or anything else one agrees upon (for example, we don't care about midi in this case)

And another one would be what I have the impression is going on with
LilyPond development: Every contributor can commit updates, but they
are only merged to the main or master tree after some kind of review
process?
Yes.

What I'm feeling slightly uneasy about with your suggestion is that
it relies on some kind of 'lock' state. Nobody except the owner of
the build token is allowed to update the master branch.
Yes, that's right. They are responsible for moving the head of the
master branch forward.

This is only acceptable if it is somehow enforced by the system and
doesn't rely on the reliability of the people involved.
You have to be able to rely on your team.
But it should be quite easy to implement mechanisms that enforce this (basically similar to lockfiles)
And I feel this may lock up things if someone doesn't give back the
token fast enough?
Yes. Susan's point about "small commits and often" is very important,
and more so as your project approaches a release date.

Traditionally, in a shared office, people use a rubber chicken or a
ball. You throw it to each other.
:-)

In distributed teams subject-only emails work well e.g.