Re: Directed \tweak commands in 2.15.39

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Directed \tweak commands in 2.15.39
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 13:49:58 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> with regard to the latest development release (and 7th stable
>> release candidate), I wanted to point out a new feature that came in
>> as a side-effect of reimplementing footnotes, an optional
>> layout-object argument for tweaks:
>>
>> <URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation/the-tweak-command>
>
> Very nice!  Great work, David.  A minor thing: In the given link I can
> see
>
>   \tweak layout-object #'grob-property value
>
> as the syntax line, mentioning that `layout-object' is optional.
> Wouldn't it be betterto write this as
>
>   \tweak [layout-object] #'grob-property value

I am not sure this syntax is familiar to non-programmers: it might make
people try using actual brackets.  This is, after all, not the Extending
LilyPond reference.

I'm currently redrafting the footnote documentation with a focus on
that.  I have little doubt that the documentation for \tweak leaves a
lot to be improved as well, but it might make sense discussing concrete
proposals on the respective issue (just now marked as "Fixed" by Colin,
but that does not mean one can't make further improvements).

--
David Kastrup