Re: Video recording of LilyPond talk at Chemnitz

From: Jonas Olson
Subject: Re: Video recording of LilyPond talk at Chemnitz
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 19:38:09 +0200

Some messages seem to drop out and never reach me, but I understand the
following was written by David Kastrup:
> > You propose a system with a guarantee that I will not get any payment at
> > all unless a minimum is met, meaning that I have to finance the whole
> > month on my own.  This is not exactly going to extend the time I will be
> > able to work on LilyPond while tapping into my own non-replenishable
> > reserves.  I don't see that it would make sense for me to offer a plan
> > where people pay less in case more is needed.

Yes, what I described would be an all-or-nothing plan. I'm thinking that
people might be unwilling to dump money on something that might turn out
not to reach any reasonable target anyway. I'll describe it some more in
case I wasn't clear.

Say, for example, that you are working a different job but would like to
return to developing LilyPond full time. You could collect funds with a
target that would support you for some predetermined time on the
condition that all donations will be returned if the target is not
reached (and you will then not leave your job for LilyPond).

The analogy would be how no-one would like to pump money into a company
that fails anyway, but you might pump money into it if you know that is
what saves it.

I don't _know_ if people reason like this, but I speculate they might,
so I thought I'd put it out there for you to consider.

A different idea: Could you partner with a publishing house that might
see something in LilyPond that would be beneficial for them. They get
all the support they want and they get the bugfixes and features they
need the most. In return, they pay you for doing that as well as working
on LilyPond in general.

You don't have to comment on this. I'm satisfied by just getting to
share my thoughts.

Jonas