Re: Video recording of LilyPond talk at Chemnitz

From: Jeff Barnes
Subject: Re: Video recording of LilyPond talk at Chemnitz
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 11:00:09 -0700 (PDT)

> It tends to feel like the classical case of "Somebody Else's Problem",
> and I am somewhat at a loss of how to deal with that without getting
> cynical to a degree that those who do support me don't deserve.

Man, I feel ya.

I started playing around with LilyPond recently. I like it. As someone who uses
a lot of open source software, though, only a few projects have won a donation
of my hard-earned bucks. I don't want to discourage you, but I think depending
on individual users to support you is not going to work out the way you want.
If this upsets you, read the GPL again. Sorry for being so curt and I'll
probably get flamed for it, because LilyPond is so highly-regarded (and rightly
so).

Wouldn't your time be more wisely spent trying to get corporate sponsors? I see
a lot more success stories in the open source world where a corporation donates
developers to projects the company have an interest in. As in, 1) convince a
large publishing house they'd be better off relying on an open source music
engraver, 2) get hired by them and 3) bingo, your dream job.

There are risks. The project could fork, the corporation may have different
goals than yours, etc.

I'm just saying that if the LilyPond project doesn't support you, don't go down
with it.

I'm probably saying a lot of crude things that offend people. I have a limited
knowledge of LilyPond's history and culture. I'm sorry if I offend. I'm just a
straight-shooter, that's all (and a newbie to this list).

Best regards,
Jeff