Re: Video recording of LilyPond talk at Chemnitz

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Video recording of LilyPond talk at Chemnitz
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 21:43:31 +0200

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jeff Barnes <address@hidden> writes:
>> Just curious. If there wasn't a free as in beer version of a GPL
>> software package, wouldn't one logically expect a fork? How does GNU
>> address that?
>
> You can't fork what has not been written yet.

I suppose the situation might be as follows: source code is freely
available (on website, github or whatever), but the binaries are not.
Anyone tech-savvy enough to serve himself doesn't have to pay, but
"simple users" do have.  I think that if the price was low (say, 5$)
nobody might be interested in forking it.

And actually, releasing source for free but binaries for fee makes
some sense.  After all, build process can be a hassle (Graham, for
example, spends much of his time precisely to serve LilyPond binaries
to everyone on the planet).

cheers,
Janek