Re: Video recording of LilyPond talk at Chemnitz

From: Mogens Lemvig Hansen
Subject: Re: Video recording of LilyPond talk at Chemnitz
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 14:47:59 -0700

On 2012-05-24, at 12:56 PM, Jeff Barnes <address@hidden> wrote:

>> And actually, releasing source for free but binaries for fee makes
>
>> some sense.
>
> Agreed. Especially on platforms where build environments aren't free

But if I had to pay to update from 2.14 to 2.16, I just wouldn't, and never
mind unstable 2.odd.  With fewer users updating, bugs would not be found and
features not explored, appreciated, and improved.

I am not sure how much I would be willing to pay for Lilypond.  Can justify to
my wife paying, say, $20 for some "free" software that I use occasionally and
do not make any profit on?  I think I would be slightly more comfortable making
a donation to Lilypond rather than to David Kastrup, even if in the end the
money goes to the same purse.  Maybe the reason is that my donation would be in
appreciation of what works, not payment towards future features.

Just some thoughts, sadly no solution.  Why don't we find some billionaire who
can just hire David to do what David does best?

Regards,
Mogens