Re: Video recording of LilyPond talk at Chemnitz

From: Hannes Kuhnert
Subject: Re: Video recording of LilyPond talk at Chemnitz
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 17:49:39 +0200

David Kastrup schrieb:
> The talk in Chemnitz was disturbing in that respect.  I was rather
> straight about the need to finance my further contribution to LilyPond,
> and there was no shortage of listeners coming to me after the talk,
> letting some LilyPond problem getting solved by me (so it was clear that
> they were actually using LilyPond on a regular basis), and afterwards
> wishing me with somewhat shifty eyes most sincerely good luck in my
> quest for funding, and that it would be a real shame if I were not
> successful with it.  I did not win any funders there.

That’s too short-sighted. Most people need several impulses for actually doing
something. So that he clearly stated, he was in need of funding, wasn’t in
vain—not for LilyPond and not for the culture of free software funding in
general.

At the talk at Chemnitzer Linux-Tage I found Davids idealism to be quite
impressive. Although I’m not familiar with the internals of LilyPond, I got
the impression that his work is valuable. What he showed he was working on
doesn’t exactly match the problems I’m having, but the direction of the
development seems to be unrestrictedly support-worthy. In that respect the
overall situation kind of differs to that of other projects I’m interested in.

I personally am a regular user of LilyPond and I’m still thinking about
donating to LilyPond resp. David Kastrup on a monthly basis. What I can afford
would be a really small sum, but doing something symbolic at least feels
better than doing nothing, I assume …

Hannes