Re: Appreciation / Financial support

From: Hannes Kuhnert
Subject: Re: Appreciation / Financial support
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 07:29:24 +0200

Tim McNamara schrieb:
> On May 28, 2012, at 1:46 PM, Hannes Kuhnert wrote:
> > On the other hand donations to a non-profit organisation would give the
> > contributor a benefit on income tax (think as higher donations at same
> > effort).
>
> That's not a bad point an there is some truth to that, but I don't feel the
> need to get a tax break in order to feel that my donation to Lilypond has
> value to me.  Lilypond already has intrinsic value to me-  […]

Of course a tax break is no reason for donating, because still “lose” money.
But at the first run it makes ones effort more effective. That means, if I had
20 % tax on income I could think of my donation getting “magically“ increased
to 125 % on the way to the LilyPond project.

That the tax benefit /may/ be eaten by increased organisational expenses is
clear. It may be profitable to cooperate with or use an existing NPO, what in
turn may include other risks and problems …

Hannes