Re: Appreciation / Financial support

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Appreciation / Financial support
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 07:35:41 +0200

On 30 mai 2012, at 03:12, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Interesting.  If you were deciding now, what language would you use?
>>
>> And is it at all conceivable to change this now?
>

> I personally have become very enamored with Go (golang.org), btw.
> Sometimes I wonder how LilyPond would turn out if I started it from
> scratch today.

Many projects release X.0 version w/ entirely new parts of the code base.  It
is a huge leap, but in my mind thinking big like this is a good idea.  I think
that it is important to max out the present version and figure out where its
faults lie and then decide if rewriting LilyPond makes sense.  I think it could
be done in 3 months divided over 4-5 people (meaning anything in C++/Scheme - I
wouldn't touch the MetaFont).

That said, people have been writing rather critical things of Scheme.  I'll
just say that I <3 Scheme!

Cheers,
MS