Re: musescore lands sponsoring?

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: musescore lands sponsoring?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 18:56:56 +0200

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 5:31 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> There are also a few advantages [of using MuseScore]:
>
> a) MusicXML export means the results are usable in a variety of notation
>   programs making use of an open standard.

Indeed, having MusicXML exprort can give Lily more popularity.

> b) volunteers can be given a complete toolchain.  "You can use an editor
>   of your choice" is about as helpful for the average musician as "You
>   can use a lathe of your choice".

LOL :D
how true!  Valentin, that could be the next quote of the month :)

> d) "I am well-versed in LilyPond.  What form do you want the entry in?
>   Can I use music functions?  What note language should I be using?
>   Should the voicing be reflected in ad-hoc voices?  Should I be using
>   anonymous parallel voices?  What kind of context mods should I be
>   using?"  "Uh, we better form a committee for that kind of question."

Good point.

That's why our KickStarter project (at least the first one) should be
a not-very-long piece for chamber orchestra.  Or string quartet.
Something with 3-6 staves and 5-15 pages.

cheers,
Janek

PS there actually is one serious advantage of text input in a project
like this: we could set up a git repository for it.