Re: Lyrics hyphens - which glyph?

From: Philip Thomas
Subject: Re: Lyrics hyphens - which glyph?
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 15:51:10 +0200

>From: Marek Klein [mailto:address@hidden
>
>> Hello,
>
>>> 2012/5/31 Philip Thomas <address@hidden> Can anyone tell me
>>> which glyph is used for (automatically inserted) lyrics hyphens? They
>>> seem, to my eye, to be wider and lower-placed than ordinary text
>>> hyphens. I would like to add them manually in certain circumstances
>>> and I want them to match.
>
>> I found this in archive:
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2012-02/msg00816.html
>> By Knut Petersen:
>
>> Well, lilypond never uses the dash glyph for hyphenation of lyrics.
>> Instead of a hyphen it puts a /draw_round_box into the output
>> postscript code.
>
>> I used "\override LyricHyphen #'stencil = #ly:text-interface::print"
>> to tell lilypond to really generate a hyphen glyph instead of a
>> centered round_box, but that hyphen will be printed at the start of
>> the preceding syllable and thus needs a manual x-offset override if
>> nobody knows a better way to handle the problem;-(
>
>> HTH
>> Marek
>
>From: Philip Thomas [mailto:address@hidden
>
>Thanks tons, Marek.
>
>Not as simple as I'd hoped, but it's good to have an answer -- and
>amazingly quickly, at that. So it will be a matter for experimentation
>and/or compromise, it seems. My apologies for failing to find the answer
>myself on the forum.
>
>All the best, Philip

Sorry, Marek -- it's me again.

I'm really a novice, and it's time for confession: I don't know how to use
the code "\override LyricHyphen #'stencil = #ly:text-interface::print" to
actually produce a glyph in the compiled score. My reading and
experimentation didn't get me anywhere on the point. I want to produce a
hyphen manually which is in fact identical in appearance to a lyrics hyphen.
It seems that I'm not quite ready for compromise, after all. :) If anyone
can enlighten me, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers, Philip