Re: Appreciation / Financial support

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Appreciation / Financial support
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 00:16:03 +0200

Am 2012-05-30 um 23:04 schrieb David Kastrup:

Henning Hraban Ramm <address@hidden> writes:

Some lunatics ;-) spent a lot of effort re-implementing TeX in Java,
that was called "NTS" (new typsetting system);

I would not call Karel Skoupy a lunatic.

There’s a smiley. The LuaTeX team called itself lunatics jokingly. (lua = moon ...)

they stopped after implementing TeX compatibility (alias "OTS" = old
ts. system). I heard it was sluggish and ugly, but the team found the
last bugs in TeX
Uh what?

AFAIR, it was the NTS team that found the last official bug in original TeX, involving some dotted line stuff. I blurrily remember a talk on that event at some DANTE meeting.
But maybe it was yourself? Couldn’t find it on the internets.
(Didn’t knew you was involved with TeX so deeply before I researched that just now; never saw you on TeX-D-L, but you seem to prefer Usenet.)

and immediately started the development of LuaTeX, that’s still in
development but already a big success.

Uh what? LuaTeX was started by Taco Hoekwater (and Hans Hagen) who was neither involved with NTS nor with the Java version known as exTeX that
is still under development.

See e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Typesetting_System

Maybe Taco wasn’t involved with NTS, but Hans was. (And since at least the ConTeXt devs are very close, I can’t imagine that Taco didn’t participate in NTS at all.)

I don’t claim accuracy in all details. ;-)
It doesn’t really matter who did what when. I should write less and debug more.

Greetlings, Hraban