Re: Appreciation / Financial support

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Appreciation / Financial support
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 02:10:56 -0300

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Han-Wen Nienhuys writes:
>
>> Let me try to rephrase things: the more functionality is moved into
>> the Scheme layers, the less people you can find who are capable of
>> working on it.
>
> For me, the complexity of LilyPond itself outplays learning a new
> programming language by far.  Moreover, learning scheme has given me a
> very helpful and refreshing new perspective on programming.

> I'm wondering, do you think that learning a new language such as scheme
> would scare you away from hacking on LilyPond, if you discovered it?

As long as you seek out new technologies, you'll always get new
perspectives on programming.

I, like most people, have only a limited amount of time. Learning a
programming language well enough to write code that sticks to wall
when you throw it, is a significant investment, and if there is a
choice, I'd invest in something that will pay off beyond working on
LilyPond. Scheme has very use in any context, so it's not very
attractive.