Re: Problem doing Scheme tutorial

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Problem doing Scheme tutorial
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 09:24:03 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Philip Thomas" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 10:09 PM
Subject: Problem doing Scheme tutorial

Dear fellow-users,

After failing to write what I thought should be a fairly simple
define-music-function, I thought, this is it: Learn something about Scheme
in a more structured way, old chap! One can only go on for so long relying
on the (invariably kind and expert, and mostly very patient) advice from
fellow users on this forum.

I did what was told to me by the Extending manual:

"1.1.1 Scheme sandbox

"The LilyPond installation includes the Guile implementation of Scheme. On
most systems you
can experiment in a Scheme sandbox by opening a terminal window and typing
'guile'. On some
systems, notably Windows, you may need to set the environment variable
GUILE_LOAD_PATH
to the directory ../usr/shr/guile/1.8 in the LilyPond installation. For the
full path to
this directory see Section "Other sources of information" in Learning
Manual. Alternatively,
Windows users may simply choose 'Run' from the Start menu and enter 'guile'.

"Once the guile sandbox is running, you will receive a guile prompt:

"guile>

"You can enter Scheme expressions at this prompt to experiment with Scheme."

What I got, however, when I ran the Command Prompt and typing "guile", was
the following:

"ERROR: In procedure primitive-load-path:
"ERROR: Unable to find file "ice-9/boot-9.scm" in load path"

Can anyone help, please? I am running LilyPond 2.14.2 under Windows 7 64-bit
(in case that's relevant).

Cheers, Philip

I'm not sure if this will fix your problem, but it looks like there's a typo in those instructions - now corrected in the 2.15 release. shr in the path should be share.

--
Phil Holmes