Possible multiple bugs, any way around?

From: Sami
Subject: Possible multiple bugs, any way around?
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 05:31:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone. I have witnessed a weird behaviour, and when I posted it, a
few good people that are way more experienced with lilypond than I am told
me that there are probably quite a few bugs hidden within the examples. My
main concern is with the failure of the stem up - stem down - and that is
the urgent issue for me, as I am in the middle of writting a book and I
stopped because of it; however the \bar at the beginning of the music seems
to be a problematic issue also. Any workarounds for the stem problem?

The following is right:

\version "2.14.2"
\score
        {
        \new PianoStaff
        <<
                \new Staff = "up"{
                \clef treble
                \new Voice = "upper"
                \autochange {
                \relative c' %If this becomes c' or lower, everything ok.
                              %as it is, it puts everything in the voice of
"down".
                        {
                        \stemUp{
                        \bar "|:" bes4 c bes' c \bar ":|" d1 \bar "|."
                        }}}}

                \new Staff = "down"{
                \clef bass
                \new Voice = "lower"
                \autochange {
                \relative c %this is of no consequence, really
                        {
                        \stemDown{
                         bes4 c bes' c | d1
                        }}}}

        }

while this is messed up:

\version "2.14.2"
\score
        {
        \new PianoStaff
        <<
                \new Staff = "up"{
                \clef treble
                \new Voice = "upper"
                \autochange {
                \relative c'' %If this becomes c' or lower, everything ok.
                              %as it is, it puts everything in the voice of
"down".
                        {
                        \stemUp{
                        \bar "|:" bes4 c bes' c \bar ":|" d1 \bar "|."
                        }}}}

                \new Staff = "down"{
                \clef bass
                \new Voice = "lower"
                \autochange {
                \relative c' %this is of no consequence, really
                        {
                        \stemDown{
                         bes4 c bes' c | d1
                        }}}}