Re: Opening parentheses in lyrics don't appear

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: Opening parentheses in lyrics don't appear
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:48:45 +0200

Hello Philip,

you might use markup-lists. In markups, the parens are typeset:

--snip--

\version "2.15.40"

% should run in 2.14

% define a music-function, to convert a markup-list to a list of LyricEvents

lyricmarkup = #(define-music-function (parser location mup)(markup-list?)

(make-music 'SequentialMusic

'elements (map

(lambda (syl) (make-music 'LyricEvent

'text syl

'duration (ly:make-duration 2 0 1 1)))

mup)))

% a test

<<

\new Staff \new Voice = "mel" \relative c'' {

c4. b8 a4 cis

}

\new Lyrics \lyricsto "mel"

\lyricmode {

\lyricmarkup \markuplist { (oo bi doo) }
% override can't be inside markuplist!

\once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT

didididididididididi

}

--snip--

But you can't use lyric-overrides inside the markup-list - so if you use a lot them, this will not be helpful :-(
... and using \lyricmarkup \markuplist {} is a lot to type ...

But still, you might try it ;-)

Cheers, Jan-Peter