Re: Scheme syntax vs. other languages [was: Re: Appreciation / Financial

From: Ramana Kumar
Subject: Re: Scheme syntax vs. other languages [was: Re: Appreciation / Financial support]
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 22:18:49 +0100

> Can anyone recommend a book or website for learning Scheme as it
> currently exists in Lilypond? So that I won’t start using deprecated
> features or whatever. I’m fluent in Lua (which I like a lot).

I found Kent Dybvig's book to be useful and readable: http://scheme.com/tspl4/.

"Scheme as it currently exists in Lilypond" is Guile, but I believe
Guile agrees with Scheme R6RS (except for the short list documented
here
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html#R6RS-Incompatibilities).
Lilypond's particular usage of Guile also may have its own traditions
and quirks with which I'm not very familiar at the moment.

Nevertheless, I believe becoming familiar with the basics of Scheme is
immensely (intellectually, plus in this case practically) rewarding
and well worth the effort, and I don't think it's a large effort.