Re: transcribe notes

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: transcribe notes
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:25:11 +0100

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 07:25:27AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> While I applaud the magnitude of your conscience, I consider your sense
> of responsibility overblown.  I would have no qualms encouraging people
> into trying to get involved.

That's because you are an excellent programmer, mathematician, and
all-round "technical guy" who would have no trouble learning git
if you didn't know it already.  I am not -- at best I'd say that
I'm a good programmer, almost competent mathematician, and
passable "technical guy".  So I have a great deal of empathy for
people who have difficulty with those.

More to the point, I have experience mentoring over 20 people for
lilypond doc work.  I *know* that people find it difficult.  I
know that people find it difficult even when somebody else takes
care of all the git stuff for them!  If you want me to listen to
anybody who says "oh, there's some friction, but just tell them to
jump in", then mentor at least 5 people who stick around for at
least 3 months.

> Now if things are as bad as to make 80% give up eventually, it
> means that 20% eventually manage to contribute.

At the "karma cost" of wasting the time and effort of the 80%.
I'm not willing to pay that cost -- especially when we could cut
that in half with 10-20 hours of prep work.

If it was just a general "yeah, only 20% of people survive", then
I could roll with that.  But "yeah, you only have a 20% chance of
doing anything, but that could be 60% if I could be bothered to
spend a week or two preparing stuff" strikes me as immoral.

Or, to put it in a more cold-blooded way: I want to get the
reputation of treating lilypond volunteers well, since that will
encourage more people to volunteer.  By discouraging people from
having a hard time now, I'm gambling on a long-term benefit in
that when the CG is better and we actively recruit volunteers,
more people will step up.

- Graham