Banjo tab problem

From: banjo hero
Subject: Banjo tab problem
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 16:23:20 -0400

Hi gang.

  I'm a new lilypond user, so I might just be overlooking something stupid here.  If so, sorry.

I'm working on a piece that I'm using the default banjo C tuning for, but the tab is coming out wrong - the fifth string's fret numbers are incorrect.  There are notes being indicated as frets 1-5 on the fifth string.

It should go "0, 6, 7, 8, 9...."  because the fifth string on a standard 5-string banjo does not have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th fret.

Really doing it properly might be complicated, because there are also long-neck banjos where the fifth string's open position is at the eighth fret, IIRC.

If anyone can offer me any advice, thanks.  In the meanwhile, I will try to learn enough to figure out a workaround myself.

Thanks,
John