beaming

From: simon blackmore
Subject: beaming
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:53:37 +0100

Sorry that this is my second cry for help in the last week.

I am just trying to get my head around changing beaming.

Basically I want to display 8 8th notes in pairs, rather than the current default 2 groups of 4.

I thought this might work

\set beatGrouping = #'(2 2 2 2)
c8 c8 c8 c8 r8 c8 c8 r8

But doesn't seem to.

I have been going through the manual and thought the example below would be a good start. But all of the
examples I have tried from this page. seem to just end up without beaming at all.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/input/lsr/lilypond-snippets/Rhythms

So for example the following code just displays 8 single notes above 8 single notes.

\score {
  \new Staff <<
    \time 7/8
    \new Voice {