Re: help scheme TAB strings music-function

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: help scheme TAB strings music-function
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 12:50:53 +0200

Robby R <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've simplified my original code a little, changed (list?) to (markup-list?)
> and
> can maybe ask some slightly more intelligent questions.  My goal is a function
> to print string names next to TAB and eventually set a string tuning,
> something
> along the lines of :
>
>          \setStrTuningCLEF #'("Banjo" ( D B G D g ))
>          or
>          \setStrTuningCLEF #'("Fiddle" ( D A D D ))
>
> except I probably have the method of entering 'args' all wrong.

This is a complete incoherent mess.  First you need to decide what kind
of argument \setStrTuningCLEF should actually receive.  Then its
arguments need to be both declared and used according to that decision.

> My questions are:
>
> 1) Is this the proper way to get an arg into the markup inside
> define-music-function:
>
>     \set Staff.instrumentName = #( markup make-center-column-markup
>     $tuning ) )

You have some strange mixed style list.  How should LilyPond make a
markup from that?

>    Seems like the "Known issues and warnings" at the bottom of
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/extending/markup-construction-in-scheme
> would apply.
>
> 2) Is (markup-list?) the appropriate predicate?

Regarding how you _use_ tuning, it would be.  But the arguments you
actually give are something totally different.

> 3) Would this be the proper call of the function:
>
>      \setStrTuningCLEF #'( D B G D g )

No.  More like

\setStrTuningCLEF \markuplines { D B G D g }

> 4) Am I even on the right track here?

I have no idea.

--
David Kastrup