Re: "-dshow-available-fonts" vs. UNIX stdout?

From: Ramana Kumar
Subject: Re: "-dshow-available-fonts" vs. UNIX stdout?
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:24:26 +0100

probably lilypond isn't writing to stdout. maybe stderr?

On Jun 20, 2012 9:20 AM, "James Harkins" <address@hidden> wrote:
I just encountered something curious while trying to get a list of fonts on my machine from lilypond. According to the documentation of font selection:

lilypond -dshow-available-fonts x

This does indeed list of fonts, but the terminal doesn't keep enough lines to see the entire list. So I thought, the UNIX command line stdout redirect should help:

lilypond -dshow-available-fonts x >/home/dlm/Documents/ly/show-available-fonts.txt

But the output was not redirected. It still went to the terminal window and the new file is empty.

Same result piping the output to cat:

lilypond -dshow-available-fonts x | cat >/home/dlm/Documents/ly/show-available-fonts.txt

Is there a reason why I can't use the usual UNIXy tricks to capture stdout here?

hjh

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
address@hidden