Re: Highlighting staves

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Highlighting staves
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 15:28:57 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2012 2:45 PM

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

With Sibelius, you can highlight part or all of a stave.  It's
intended as an aid to composition, to highlight where work is needed,
but as a singer trying to find my stave amongst (quite often) seven
others, I think it's useful.  Is there a way of colouring the
background to a stave in Lily?

If you are going to make your own printout anyway, why not make all the
other staffs significantly smaller?  You can still track the rough
context, but get more material on the page.

The music I have most difficulty with is typically unaccompanied - often early madrigals and the like. If you get lost, the only way to get going again is to find what the other parts are singing and catch up - so being able to read their music quickly can still be a requirement. Also - highlighting means the page layout wouldn't change, whereas it would with size, and so the MD saying "the bottom of page 2" would get me confused.

--
Phil Holmes