Re: Adding new fingering system

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Adding new fingering system
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 11:17:36 +0200

Il 23/06/2012 23:36, address@hidden ha scritto:
My main instrument is the Pedal Steel Guitar. One of the different
things about this instrument is that it has pedals that re-tune specific
strings.

I want to be able to add strings to my score.

This is close to the result I want, but it would be nice to use a
similar syntax as for string indications, e.g.
{

\set stringNumberOrientations = #'(up)

<c'\8>4

<c'\8 e'\6 g'\5>4

}

%% Start of file
\version "2.14.2"

{

c'4 ^\markup {\circle \tiny "8"}

<c' e' g' >^\markup { \tiny \left-column {\circle{"5"} \circle{"6"}
\circle{"8"}}}

<f' a' c'> ^\markup {\tiny \left-column{\circle{"5B"} \circle{"6A"}
\circle{"8"}}}

}

%% End of file

NB! Here I have added an F chord which uses two pedals (Pedal A and B)

How hard is it to extend Lilypond so I can use the same syntax as for
string indication?
And where to I start?

// Anders

I don't know pedal steel guitar...
Anyway, I think that you can get (almost) the same result using string indications. You should enclose them inside <>, as explained in the big note here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-fretted-strings#string-number-indications

This is easier to write:

SixA = \markup \tiny \circle "6A"

{
  <c'\8>4
  <c'\8 e'\6 g'\5 >
  <f'\6 a'\5 c'\8>
  f'^\SixA
}

I don't know how to add the letter after the number. Maybe you have to use your markup workaround (you'd better use a variable).

HTH
--
Federico