Re: function does not replicate \markup?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: function does not replicate \markup?
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 12:58:17 +0200

On 2012-06-24 12:36, David Kastrup wrote:
Thunderbird does not really seem to like quoting code... This now was a mixed HTML/plain text mail. The plain text version looked actually fine, so it is not quite clear why you would need a combined mail just to get the correct plain text version out. The HTML rendition here used non-breakable spaces...
I will try to make the mails plain text!

Then you should not be using a mark.  If you want to be using a
textscript, this is actually more fun to do with current versions of
LilyPond (2.15.not-too-old). It would look something like
fN = #(define-event-function (parser location fretp ) (string?)
     #{
         _\markup { \box \italic \small #fretp }
     #})
That was my first attempt! Seems like I'm thinking a bit ahead

The closest you can get with 2.14 is something like

fN = #(define-music-function (parser location fretp ) (string?)
   (make-music 'TextScriptEvent
               'text (markup #:box #:italic #:small $fretp)
               'direction DOWN))

if you are lucky, and even then you will have to use it as

-\fN "whatever"
Aha! Suddenly a light came on!

A BIG Thank You for persevering while I get my act together!

// Anders

--
English isn't my first language.
So any error or strangeness is due to the translation.