Re: midi for orchestral scores

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: midi for orchestral scores
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 20:07:40 +0200

Nils writes:

> Yes. 16 sounds because we have 16 channels max. And you can double two
> horns on one channel but you can't pan one to the left and one to the
> right.
> So in the end its 16 instruments + tricks like sharing one instrument patch
> for all strings.

Yes, we have at least three ways of writing midi files now.  There are
at least two theoretical ways of setting many more instruments than 16
and we support two (using ports and instrument per track, ignoring
channel); but as far as I know there are no midi players that handle
those.

Jan

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl