Re: padding for shortInstrumentName

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: padding for shortInstrumentName
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 07:10:28 -0500

Hi Jeffrey,

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 4:01 AM, Jeffrey Trevino <address@hidden> wrote:
Hey all,
I'm a bit confused by the relationship between InstrumentName and ShortInstrumentName. In the internals reference, the former seems to be an autonomous layout object, but ShortInstrumentName is somehow a property of this first object -- or? I hope someone can clarify what's going on for me. I'm mainly interested in changing the padding on ShortInstrumentName only, so that it's a bit further away from a staff group bracket in my score.
Jeff

InstrumentName and ShortInstrumentName are both properties containing a markup read by the engraver.  I think your confusion may arise because the grob is called "InstrumentName" as well.

I think the easiest way to get more space between the shortened name and the staff is to modify the markup by adding space to its right:

\version "2.15.40"

\new Staff \with {
  instrumentName = #"Violin "
  shortInstrumentName = \markup \concat { "Vln." \hspace #0.7 }
  %shortInstrumentName = #"Vln. "
}
{ c4.. g'16 c4.. g'16 \break | c1 }

\layout {