Re: Footnote problem with \default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Footnote problem with \default
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 16:56:00 +0200

Nick Payne <address@hidden> writes:

> On 01/07/12 14:31, David Kastrup wrote:
>> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>>> music
>>>
>>>      This is the item, a music event or chord constituent or post-event,
>>>      that is being annotated. While it cannot be omitted, it can be
>>>      replaced by \default in which case the footnote is not attached to a
>>>      music expression in particular, but rather to a moment of time. It
>>>      is mandatory in this case to use the grob-name argument for
>>>      selecting an affected grob type, like ‘#'TimeSignature’.
>>>
>>> I think the last sentence is rather clear.  See also
>>> <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2547> which has
>>> been orphaned at the moment.
>> See also <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2559>
>> for more background.
>>
> Thanks. I hadn't read the doco properly. Adding the grob name fixes
> it. On a somewhat related matter, if I have a StaffGroup with a
> time-related footnote in one staff, then the footnote indication gets
> attached to all staves at the same time moment, which would seem the
> desired behaviour, but that also results in the identical footnote
> text being duplicated as many times in the footer as there are staves
> in the StaffGroup.
>
> Shouldn't the correct behaviour in this situation be for the footnote
> indication to appear in each stave (without incrementing the footnote
> number), and the footnote text to appear only once in the footer.

That would likely be optimal.  You can use
    \layout {
      \context { \Score \remove Footnote_engraver }
      \context { \Staff \consists Footnote_engraver }
    }
to have the footnote appear only in a single Staff, at the cost of not
being able to annotate any objects above Staff level.

If one found a good way for removing the duplicates, it might even be
feasible to have the Footnote_engraver in more than one level.

--
David Kastrup