Re: Hauptstimme Brackets?

From: Nathan
Subject: Re: Hauptstimme Brackets?
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 11:38:59 -0700

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Nick Baskin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Is there any way to create Hauptstimme and Nebenstimme brackets in LilyPond?
> My searches of the manual, LSR, and recent list archives have not been
> fruitful. I am using version 2.14.2.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick Baskin
>
> --
> And she forgot the stars, the moon, and sun,
> And she forgot the blue above the trees,
> And she forgot the dells where waters run,
> And she forgot the chilly autumn breeze...
>
> — Keats, "Isabella, or the Pot of Basil"

Here's a solution using markup paths and text spanners:

%%%

\version "2.14.2"

hauptstimmeStart = \markup {
  \path #0.25 #'((moveto 0 0)
                 (lineto 0 -2)
                 (moveto 0 -1)
                 (lineto 1 -1)
                 (moveto 1 0)
                 (lineto 1 -2)
                 (moveto 1 0)
                 (lineto 1.8 0))
}

nebenstimmeStart = \markup {
  \path #0.25 #'((moveto 0 -2)
                 (lineto 0 0)
                 (lineto 1 -2)
                 (lineto 1 0)
                 (lineto 1.8 0))
}

hauptstimmeEnd = \markup {
  \path #0.25 #'((moveto 0 0)
                 (lineto 0.8 0)
                 (lineto 0.8 -0.8))
}

hauptstimme = {
  \once \override TextSpanner #'style = #'none
  \once \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details left text) = \hauptstimmeStart
  \once \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details right text) = \hauptstimmeEnd
}

nebenstimme = {
  \once \override TextSpanner #'style = #'none
  \once \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details left text) = \nebenstimmeStart
  \once \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details right text) = \hauptstimmeEnd
}

\relative c' {
  \hauptstimme
  | c4\startTextSpan c4 c4 c4
  | c4 c4 c4 c4\stopTextSpan
  | c4 c4 c4 c4
  \nebenstimme
  | c4\startTextSpan c4 c4 c4
  | c4 c4 c4 c4\stopTextSpan
}

%%%

Feel free to edit the paths as necessary.

For more information on text spanners, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/writing-text#text-spanners
For more information on markup paths, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/graphic#index-drawing-paths

Cheers,
Nathan